Practical advice

ID cards and passports

To apply for an identity card or a passport, please contact the Consulate General in Munich or a French city administration directly (e.g. in Alsace). To apply for a visa, you must contact the Consulate General in Frankfurt am Main.

If you decide on one of the Consulates General, make an appointment in Frankfurt at Plateforme-de-rendez-vous-en-ligne or in Munich at Prendre-rendez-vous-pour-une-demande-de-carte-d-identite-ou-de-passeport.

If you would like to apply for your passport or identity card directly while in France, you will find a list of the French offices authorised to issue such documents at Ou-faire-ma-demande-de-passeport.
At Cartes-nationales-d-identite you will find an overview of the documents required to apply for an identity card. Visit the Passeports page to apply for a passport.

Entry into the register of French residents outside France
French citizens are advised to enrol into the register of French residents living outside of France. Registration is free of charge online and makes any subsequent formalities at the consulate easier for you. At Inscrivez-vous-au-registre-des-Francais-de-l-etranger you will find further information on the benefits and instructions.

Registry office
For marital status questions, (Births, Weddings, Divorces und Deaths) the consular department of the French embassy in Berlin is responsible. The documents required for this must be sent in by post.

The procedure for the recognition of a German birth certificate by the French registry authorities is described at Enregistrement-une-naissance.

Further information can be found at und unter